Graduate Program Admissions Requirements
Application Deadline Fall: January 3, 2021
NOTE: Graduate applications can now be done entirely online
All documents, including the following may be uploaded:
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- 3 Letters of recommendation (from Professors) Note: recommenders will be required to upload their letters through the graduate college website. Instructions on how this works are provided within the online application process- we do not have a recommendation form.
- Statement of purpose (4,500 character limit, including spaces)
- Personal History Statement (4,500 character limit, including spaces)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Writing Sample (research paper or critical/analytical essay) Note: This may be a work previously submitted as a course requirement or a published work
- The Roshan GIDP reviewers may ask for a virtual interview during the application review process.
- GPA 3.0 on undergraduate or M.A. degree (cumulative GPA or last 60 semester units if your undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.0 cumulative; graduate GPA will be taken cumulative only)
- GRE – UA code is 4832. The GRE is optional for the 2020 application process because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- International Applicants must submit TOEFL Scores. The minimum requirements for admission are a total score of 90 in the internet-based test. Applicants must score at least 26 on the speaking section to be considered for Teaching Assistant positions. Please request OFFICIAL SCORES from ETS using University of Arizona Institution Code: 4832 The University of Arizona's requirements for international students may be found here: http://grad.arizona.edu/admissions/requirements/international-applicants
Application Requirements are listed in more detail under each degree type:
The Graduate School's Plan Code for MA degree is: PRIRSMA
The Graduate School's Plan Code for PHD degree is: PRIRSPHD
The Graduate School's Plan Code for Mino degree is: PRIRMING
You can apply through the Graduate College or MENAS coordinator.
Please see the deadline for admission and financial support here.
Your application should show evidence that you have the potential to succeed in our graduate program and the evidence that our program and faculty's expertise match your research project. Online Application (available via here)
Your application should include:
Statement of Purpose (4,500-character limit, including spaces):
It should highlight your academic preparation and motivation; interests, specializations and career goals; and the reason you think our program is the best place to pursue your graduate studies and research project. You may identify specific faculty within your desired program with whom you intend to work and explain how their interests match your own.
Personal History Statement (4,500-character limit, including spaces):
This essay can tell us more about you as an individual and potential graduate student, describing how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a graduate degree in any of fields related to Persian and Iranian studies. You may include any educational, familial, cultural, or social experiences, challenges, community service, outreach activities, and/or any other opportunities relevant to your academic journey.
Sample of Written Work:
The written sample should be a research paper or critical/analytical essay. It can be a work previously submitted as a course requirement or a published work.
Three letters of recommendation (from Professors):
Provide contact information for three references including your former or current professors. They will be contacted to submit their recommendations electronically
Academic records from each college-level institution you have attended previously are required. You will be instructed to upload your transcripts after you have submitted your application. For international applicants, certified English translations of the transcripts must be submitted along with the original-language transcript.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Scores:
University of Arizona Institution Code: 4832 The GRE is optional for the 2020 application process because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
You will be considered for fellowships and/or Teaching Assistant (TA) if you complete the applications.
International Applicants must submit TOEFL Scores. The minimum requirements for admission are a total score of 90 in the internet-based test. Applicants must score at least 26 on the speaking section to be considered for Teaching Assistant positions. Please request OFFICIAL SCORES from ETS using University of Arizona Institution Code: 4834.
Other Graduate College Information/Requirements
Phone: (520) 621-3471 | Email Graduate College Questions: OnlineAppHelp@grad.arizona.edu
- Graduate College Online Application Submission
- $85 Application Fee Due at time of Submission
- Domicile Affidavit
- Financial Guarantee